- Water does not want to be sterile; when liquid water remains standing for more than 48 hours, mould spores will begin to germinate and grow.
- There is no point trying to kill visible mould with bleach or fungicides; to get rid of mould you need to address any moisture that is supporting microbial growth.
- Not all mould is dangerous, however stagnant water gives rise to a territorial battle between bacteria and fungi that leads to production of biotoxins and pathogenic mould.
- Water vapour enters our houses from the outside air and through breathing, bathing, cooking and from washing and drying clothes. When warm humid air meets a cold surface, condensation happens.
- Liquid water can enter our homes from the ground up (inadequate drainage), the top down (leaky roofs and windows) and from inside (spills and leaks).
- Mouldy odours are caused by microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (mVOCs) which are the gaseous products of fungal digestion, or ‘fungi farts’ which smell bad.
- Current building codes do little to ensure mould-free homes and the majority of homes are likely to be affected.
- Mould can have devastating effects on human health leading to asthma, allergies, respiratory conditions, fatigue, headaches, insomnia, inflammation and a wide range of chronic diseases.
- Prevention is better than cure. Managing mould can be dangerous so it is important to try to prevent dampness and use personal protective equipment (PPE) that includes HEPA filters because: “If you don’t use a filter, you’ll be a filter”.
Written by Marc Cohen
Dr Marc is a medical doctor, university professor and wellness trailblazer with 2 PhDs, who has spent more than 30 years practicing and researching holistic health. He has published more than 100 peer-reviewed scientific papers and many books and technical texts on wellness and natural medicine. He is the Founder of the Extreme Wellness Institute and Co-Founder of the Bathe the World Foundation.